Saturday, June 25, 2011

oh cancer you are too funny! part 2

First approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2001, GLEEVEC®(imatinib mesylate) is a unique treatment for certain forms of cancer. It works by targeting, and turning off, specific proteins in cancer cells that cause the cancer cells to grow and multiply. GLEEVEC®  targets one cancer protein that causes Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) and another cancer protein, called KIT, that is the suspected cause of gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST). However, GLEEVEC®  can also target other proteins not involved in causing Ph+ CML or KIT-positive GIST.


Oh my sweet Gleevec!


My magic pill.  The one that will make everything right, like how Goldilocks wanted.  I was happy, elated, ecstatic and ready to tackle the BIATCH once and for all and exorcise her ass like that priest did to Linda Blair in THE EXORCIST!  "Away demon, the power of Christ compels you!"  And all that other good stuff.


But, before taking this wonder drug we had to to read about it.  So we started doing our very extensive homework about it and at times it just felt like we were just stuffing out mind with a shitload of information that it felt that our minds were about to explode. We read pro/cons, effectiveness, side effects, blah blah blah....  At the end of all this we decided to roll the dice and take the odds.


So I started my daily pill popping and believe it or not the the fucker worked!  I mean sure, I was still carrying the HAG around but now instead of asking "are we there yet?" every 5 seconds she was completely subdued and wearing a straitjacket and a muzzle.  Sure we couldn't enjoy some of the benefits that comes with carrying a 3rd passenger, like I still could not use the HOV lanes and she did not contribute for gas and we all know how prices at the pump are nowadays but anyway it's a small price to pay considering we were keeping the BIATCH quiet so we didn't complain much.


Another wonderful thing about this drug was the fact that I had minimal side effects.  Some queasiness but other than that, it was great.  Actually I went the other direction - improving my physical endurance overall.  Running 3 half marathons in 4 months and breaking a new personal record each time.  I was even cycling on my weekends off from running with no problems whatsoever.


My bloodwork was stellar making all my marks, week after week.  Then we switched it every two weeks with the same results and after my 6 month BMB (bone marrow biopsy) my numbers were looking great.  Of course there was an extensive amount of other tests but I will not bore you with all the medical jargon that I myself had problems understanding,  Why we don't have one of those "idiots guide" book to understand this crap is beyond me!


Life was good . Scratch that, life was GREAT!  After a real long and stressful 6 months we decided to go on vacation to sunny Cabo San Lucas.  " a week of fun in the sun will do us good and we deserve it dammit" I said to my lovely and adoring girlfriend and she concurred.  Of course we had to carry with the other woman but we didn't mind at this point, That hag was just a mute she, was zipping it quite good.  What we didn't know is that during this silent period and when we weren't looking, the harlot was texting and e-mailing ALL ( acute lymphoblastic leukemia) to come and join us at the 5 star resort in Cabo.  And if I thought CML was the queen of all BIATCHES well let me tell you, this ALL is ONE NASTY SKANK! I mean she makes CML look like mother teresa. 


ALL is one nasty little jezebel, the only way I can compare her to is to charlize theron character in the movie monster. A classless, toothless, hairless barfly that thinks she is the "hot shit" at the local watering hole.


Well CML decided that I would be a great match for her and right at the middle of our vacation she decides to come and crash our place and mind you, this woman was not packing light, and before you know it she starts showering me with all her charms and witty personality.  Her way of cuddling was by giving me night sweats and low grade fevers.  Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have flowers for a first date don't you think?


This time I was prepared because of my past experience. My spidey sense started tingling and as soon as we got back from vacation, I went straight to my doc. for a blood test to make sure everything was ok.


Boy was I WRONG! not only ALL moved in, but the skank took the master bedroom.  "oh my, here we go again!" Round 2 in this fucking cage fight. Ding! Ding!


                              .........to be continued


     
     

3 comments:

  1. You have the write about the upcoming burger, pics and everything....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wait a minute, you went from having CML to ALL! What the heck??? When were you originally diagnosed with CML?
    Feeling your pain......can't seem to ever make plans, huh? Our trip to Cabo was cancelled this year due to CML!

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually CML doesn't go away. it's just "controlled" i just add ALL to the list. I was diagnosed with CML back in sept of '10 and was doing great with gleevec. no side effects and blood work was showing i was doing great. but some small minority of people this happens and ALL shows up. sorry to hear about your trip being cancelled. CML can be such a pain in the ass sometimes but don't worry one of this days we will be able to nip it in the butt! and keep on kicking leuky's ass we are all in this fight together.

    ReplyDelete