Tuesday, August 9, 2011

oh cancer you are too funny! part 3


Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is a fast-growing cancer of the white blood cells. Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell that the body uses to fight infections. In ALL, the bone marrow makes lots of unformed cells called blasts that normally would develop into lymphocytes. However, the blasts are abnormal. They do not develop and cannot fight infections. The number of abnormal cells (or leukemia cells) grows quickly. They crowd out the normal red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets the body needs.
The funny thing about ALL is that instead of attacking my WBC's , this skank goes after my platelets and eats them up like a sumo wrestler loose in an all you can eat buffet.  And eat away she did, all the way down to 30,000 (we are supposed to to between 140 to 400,000 range) and not just that, but she revved up my blast cells from 3%to 86% in a period of a week, yeah it felt like the jezebel had some nose candy, speed, and crack and she came to party like it was 1999!
Anyway, as soon as we got the results from the blood test, not saying anything good I might add. Our next step was a BMB which I must say that I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire than subject myself to that uncomfortable procedure.  It's like the doc. was drilling for oil or something and coming out with mud.  Yeah sure, they numb the surrounding area but you still feel the needle on your bones and the tap tap tap of another needle trying to extract the piece of spongy extract.  I would love to post a video of the whole procedure so you can have a better picture but I just don't want half my ass crack showing up in youtube.  it's not a pretty sight just be happy with my lame description of the experience.


After all this, the only thing was to wait for a couple of days for the results to come in and see exactly what was going on with my bone marrow because the test would def. tell you more of what's going on with the blood production and stuff.


So we wait and wait, all nervous and stressed out because we still don't have a clue of what's going on with me.  I practically chomp down my fingers all the way down to the bone because of my nail bitting  (I should have smothered my fingers in hot sauce just to make the experience more enjoyable).  And finally we got the life changing news a couple of days later , news that we were not prepared to receive, my CML added another companion to the mix and her name was ALL (skank) so now our little threesome turned into a foursome Great" I thought " not only is this so unsatisfying , I'm the only one getting screwed out of this!" sorry for my language but you have to understand how angry and pissed off I am at this news, this is def. not something I signed up for.  It was bad dealing with one cancer and now I have to deal with her evil alter ego.


I was shipped to the hospital tight away like a cow gets shipped to the nearest meat processing plant and I started a regimen of chemo that will last for about 8 month of in and out of the hospital. Plus god only knows how long for my recuperation after a bone marrow transplant and all of that is if everything goes according to plan.  My best bet is finding that bone marrow donor as quick as possible because honestly, CHEMO is not fun, trust me, I'm talking from experience.


As of right now I just finished my second round of chemo and still searching for a new bone marrow ( I wonder if it comes with that "new car" smell?) I'm currently on a waiting list and should find something fast because if I don't, I'm going to go into panic mode and might even ask my old anatomy teacher from high school for that old skeleton she used to use for class to see if I'm a match to those old bag of bones!! yes people I am that crazy. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that you have additional "friends", if I was able, I would certainly try to Be You Match, however I don't think that they would want my CML blood! When were you originally diagnose?
    Best to you,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much michele. I was diagnosed with CML back in sept and with ALL in june. i'm currently waiting for a stem cell transplant but i have to do another round of chemo. I love your blog BTW. very insightful keep p the great work.

    ReplyDelete